YA Feature: Introducing YA author Julia Crane


This week on Reading Away The Days I would like introduce to you guys the awesome author that is Julia Crane. Julia is the author of the Keegan's Chronicles series. Enjoy the interview and check out Julia's series, Keegan's Chronicles and show Julia some comment love.



A little about Julia and her writing career so far:

I started writing when I was very young. As an avid reader I thought it would be fun to make up my own stories. I stopped writing after I had children and pushed the dream aside. Once we moved to Dubai and I had a lot of free time my husband encouraged me to give it a shot. He always believes I can do anything. We were talking about e-publishing and he knew writing a novel was something I had always wanted to do. He told me to go for it, not for a second doubting if I could or not. So far I have had a great experience with publishing. 

You are the author of Keegan's Chronicles. Can you tell me a little about the first book in the series, Coexist?

Coexist (Keegan's Chronicles #1)

Sixteen-year-old Keegan is struggling to keep her huge secret from her friends--she's an elf, descended from a long line of elves that live in secrecy alongside humans.  

In elfin society, mates are predetermined but not allowed to meet until they are eighteen.  Against tradition, Keegan's brother Thaddeus told her Rourk's name because his visions warned him she'd need Rourk's protection, especially since Keegan will play a key role in the coming war between the dark and light elves.

Rourk finds himself drawn to Keegan's side every time she thinks his name. He wants to talk to her but remains in the shadows, silently guarding her every time she mentally beckons him. A twist of fate thrusts the two of them together when Rourk is forced to step up his protection and make his presence known.

An ancient prophecy deeply entwines Keegan's family and the future of their society. Somehow they must find a way to thwart fate and win the battle...without losing Keegan. With war brewing, and dark forces aligning, will Keegan and Rourk ever have the life together that they both desire?

Where did you get your idea for the Keegan Chronicles series?
I took a lot from my current life as odd as that sounds. I have a teenage daughter and all the drama that comes along with that. As a retired military wife that was a lifestyle I lived for many years. My grandmother is from Ireland and she was always telling us Irish tales so I thought it would be fun to write a book with an Irish background. 

The second book in the series just released last month. Can you tell us a little about Conflicted?

Conflicted (Keegan's Chronicles #2)

Conflicted starts out where Coexist left off. In this book, Keegan's personality has reverted because of the black magic, which can be frustrating at times. She struggles not only with the black magic, but with who she should be with—the boy she likes or the one she's meant to be with. 

The covers for both the books in the Keegan Chronicles series are beautiful. Who designed them and how much say did you have in the designing of the covers?
I got extremely lucky with the covers. I found Kadri Umbleja on deviantart.com. I can't speak highly enough about her skills. I told her about the book and in minutes she came up with the idea for the design. I had as much say as I wanted, but I didn't need it because what she came up with was perfect. Christine DeMaio-Rice found the perfect font to pull it all together. 

Will there be any more books in the Keegan Chronicles series?
I'm almost finished book three Consumed. I'm not sure if there will be a fourth or not I have to see how I wrap this one up. I am going to do a couple of spin offs. I already have a book in mind called Anna which will go into Anna's life as a witch. She is a fun character and gets to shine a little in Conflicted.

You are also part of THE HALLOWEEN COLLECTION FROM THE INDIE ECLECTIVE. What is your short story Haunted House about?
It was so much fun to be part of the anthology. I  wrote a short story with the three girls from Keegan's Chronicles. They go to a haunted house and find more than they bargained for. 

Are you currently working on any projects at the moment?
Other than Consumed, I have two other books that I am co-writing: one with Heather Adkins, and another with Talia Jager they are both amazing authors and a blast to work with. 

Thanks to Julia for the awesome interview. The first two books in the Keegan Chronicles series are available now via Amazon

Check out:

 

5 comments

  1. Great interview! LOVE those covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool interview! The covers are GORGEOUS and I can't wait to pick these up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, now a follower.....

    Why not give me a try at http://thewrongplaceatthewrongtime.blogspot.pt/

    Nice to meet you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great books! So fun to read and great chemistry between the main characters.

    ReplyDelete