Author Interview: Jennifer E. Smith author of The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

Hi! I was really happy when Jennifer agreed to an interview on my blog. I loved The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight her recent YA release. You can check out my review here! Enjoy the interview and be sure to leave a comment for Jennifer and don't forget to check out The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight!   



A little about Jennifer:


I’ve wanted to be a writer for what feels like forever, though I guess I never quite dared to believe that I might someday be published. In many ways, they’re two different things entirely – writing and publishing – and even now, the writing is the thing that’s most important. The rest is all just icing on the cake.

Can you tell us a little about your lastest YA release The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight?

It’s a love story about two teenagers who meet on a flight from New York to London, and the whole book takes place over the course of twenty-four hours.

Where did you get the idea for The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight?

I really wanted to explore the idea of fate. In the book, Hadley misses her flight by just four minutes, and that ends up changing everything for her. If she hadn’t been running late, she wouldn’t have missed the plane. And if she hadn’t missed the plane, she wouldn’t have been sitting next to Oliver. And if she hadn’t met Oliver, her life – or at the very least that day – would have been completely different. It’s so interesting to me how the littlest things can have such enormous ripple effect, and I wanted to play that out over the course of a single day in the life of these characters.

I really enjoyed the story of Hadley and Oliver. What has the response been from fellow readers?

It’s been wonderful – just really, really exciting. This isn’t my first book, and while I’m very proud of my two previous ones, the response to Statistical Probability has been so incredible. I’m thrilled that readers are responding to this story, and it’s been so much fun to hear from so many of them about it. There’s nothing more gratifying for a writer.

 
Why should we read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight in one sentence?

Because if four minutes can change your life, imagine what a whole book could do!

Any new projects in the works?


My first middle grade novel, The Storm Makers, just came out this month, and I’m currently finishing up my next YA book, another love story called This Is What Happy Looks Like, which will be out in 2013.

Finally do you believe in love at first sight?

I do! I mean, it’s never happened to me, but I’m both an optimist and a romantic, so I’d like to believe it’s possible. You never know…

 
You can buy the book here:


Stalk Jennifer:


Twitter @ JenESmith

No comments