Discussion: Ebook VS Paperback

 
 
EBook VS Paperback seems to be coming an age old question. I don't know how many times I have had people ask me, do you read eBooks? , do you have a kindle? My reply is I don't read eBooks and I don't own a kindle. This isn't because I can't access a kindle its because I don't want to own a kindle or read eBooks!
 
Being a book blogger who reviews books (duh!) , it would make more sense for me to read eBooks for many reasons. Some being it is expensive to ship books to me in the UK, some publishers now prefer to provide eArcs and many self published authors don't print copies of their books. But I just can't bring myself to get a kindle when there are so many advantages to having one. Other advantages, is the price of eBooks are cheaper, you can get FREE eBooks and it saves on a lot of space which I am slowly running out of. But with all these advantages, why I am still not reading eBooks!?
 
The simple answer is I can't bring myself to "move on with the times". I love going to a book store and picking up new books to physically be able to hold the book and turn the pages. I love to collect books of my favorites series and to have them on display. Books have been around for thousands of years and I like to think that even with the times moving on and technology being everywhere and developing day by day that books will still survive all this.
 
I am never saying never to a kindle but for now I am going to stick with paperbacks/hardbacks :)
 
What are your thoughts on eBooks VS paperbacks? Let me know in the comments below!
 
 
*I do not own the above images*
 
 

8 comments

  1. I'm always reading one paperback or hardcover and one ebook at the same time. I love both formats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could read ebooks and paperbacks as I would have loads more books to read hopefully one day :-)

      Delete
  2. They both have their advantages. I personally love physical books. I love the feel of them in my hands and how they look on my bookshelves as well as being able to loan them easily and just looking at their covers and remembering all the emotions and whatnot.

    But ebooks have their place too. I love my kindle. I like that I can read it one handed whilst I eat cereal. I like that if I'm reading it away from my home - I can carry an entire library and never run out of stuff to read. I also prefer to read my kindle in bed because that way I can use the little light in it's case rather than my bedside light.

    I'm never going to abandon physical books. They're fantastic for the reasons you stated is why you're not reading ebooks. But I think ebooks can be good too.

    Kate @ Fictional Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your description of having a physical book is exactly how I feel. I hope one day I will get into ebooks. :-)

      Delete
  3. If my boyfriend hadn't bought me an e-reader way back in 2009, I probably would never have bought one for myself. The problem with e-readers is they FEED the book buying addiction - not just the free/cheap books and galleys, but I'm a series binge reader - so if I finish the first book in a series and DESPERATELY want to find out what happens next, I get the kindle version instantly.

    Having said that, I do still prefer paper books, and strangely read them faster than ebooks. And they feel SO NICE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree if I had a kindle my book addiction would get ten times worse lol.

      Delete
  4. I <3 both formats but I believe Kindle/Ereaders are a more sustainable purchase for bloggers... we can highlight quotes, make notes on pages, add a review straight to Amazon and even share or tweet what we think of the book half way through without losing our spot..

    I know you're running of space so... I believe you NEED a kindle! :-P xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it would make more sense to have a kindle lol

      Delete